Sunday, May 9, 2010

Shoe 4: Detachable Shaft Gladiator Sandals

What, besides Russel Crowe, comes to mind when you hear the word gladiator?
Is it men in armor with swords and shields, or raged togas, fighting for their lives in a last ditch effort to secure freedom? In other words, bloody, violent, and so very Roman.
Or do you think of the latest craze in woman's footwear? Strappy metallic sandals that buckle all the way up the calf and scream 'look at me!' 'I like being shackled.'
The thing is, traditionally when we think of gladiator sandals we think of men covered in blood in an arena full of screaming viewers longing for that blood to flow.
Yes, the view is probably more from the current media than an accurate depiction of history, but still gladiator is the equivalent of male. Never mind that that was just the style of shoe, flat and leather, that men, women, and children wore at that time.
Now the gladiator sandal is all about making a statement, but what are they saying?
Are they saying I am strong and independent?
Are they saying I like to be seen so I'm going to wear these shinny shoes that draw your attention to the fact that I'm not wearing much else on the bottom half of my body?
Or are they saying that I'm a women living in a man's arena and by wearing these shoes I'm fighting for my freedom and if that fails at least I'll be dressed and ready to go in the attire of servitude - buckles and chains...
ANM

Shoe Information:
Name - Detachable Shaft Gladiator Sandals
Brand - Belle By Sigerson
Price - $ 250.00
Website - http://www.sigersonmorrison.com
http://www.neimanmarcus.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment